Innovators Describe Their IMPEL+ Experience
"The training has been very useful. We have received interest from and started to engage institutional investors so being able to concisely explain our vision at Hempitecture over these many video conference calls is coming quite naturally after IMPEL.
Not only does the concise, salient company synopsis we practiced help explain Hempitecture to investors, we've used it on our new advisors, potential hires, and lenders as well. It's really resonating!"
- Tommy Gibbons, COO of Hempitecture, 2021 IMPEL+ Innovator
"I am used to pitching my product as a platform technology of building envelope for moisture and heat. [At the IMPEL+ Workshop] I really appreciated the opportunity to try something I hadn’t done before: drill down to include OSB manufacturers, builders, and users without it becoming hopelessly complicated. And how to build a coherent story with impact. Also it was super fun to hear about what other cool people are working on. I felt like the blinders came off."
- Derek Stein, Founder and CEO of Techstyle Materials, Inc., 2021 IMPEL+ Innovator
"Thank you to IMPEL+ for the time and attention to the building innovation sector and to the IMPEL+ community for the important effort on energy efficiency and building decarbonization. IMPEL+ really helped us think about how to begin to understand and articulate how DOE funded research and lab partnerships could really advance our core technical concepts through various stages of readiness."
- Tanya Barham, Founder and CEO of Community Energy Labs, 2021 IMPEL+ Innovator
"Many thanks for an extraordinary IMPEL+ program. I think the difference between my first pitch of the morning and my last pitch of the evening was tangible and significant."
- Donna Childs, Founder and CEO of Prisere LLC, 2021 IMPEL+ Innovator
"Pitching an idea to a room full of investors is not as easy as it sounds. It's a skill that can be learned. The IMPEL workshop was such a great learning experience in getting detailed feedback on crafting & delivering a pitch from brilliant coaches as well as getting the opportunity to network with some talented individuals with novel ideas in the space of building technologies! Thank you for the wonderful opportunity! Looking forward to next year’s IMPEL Workshop!“
- Pranav Gupta, Graduate Student, Carnegie Mellon University, 2020 IMPEL+ Innovator
" The back-and-forth live coaching by the professionals was very rewarding because their knowledge and experience is so vast. Just a few words and insight from these coaches changed my perspective.”
- Benjamin Knopp, Building Science Consultant, 2020 IMPEL+ Innovator
“As a scientist you are rarely encouraged to craft your message, so I really appreciated going through that difficult, challenging process today. ”
- Dr. Heather Goetsch, DOE Building Technologies Office, 2020 IMPEL+ Innovator
“The unique coaching addressed ‘emotion’ as the medium - what I feel, and convey to the audience. You start to understand that as technological as it could be, in the end you have to share ideas between people - it is a very human process! The workshop doesn't just give you technical skills but we are taught about the root of communication, and how to make the emotional process efficient - this really was world-class!”
- Antoine Gautier, Principal Scientific Engineering Associate, Berkeley Lab, 2020 IMPEL+ Innovator
"The IMPEL program definitely motivated me to advance my building technology for circadian-effective light for Alzheimer patients. The guidelines and key elements were super helpful to put my pitch together as a cohesive story.”
- Erik Page, President, Blue Iris Labs, SBIR/STTR Awardee and Patent Inventor, 2020 IMPEL+ Innovator
"We directly used our new IMPEL presentation to pitch to a large company - it helped simplify and clarify the 'Foresee' home energy management system message”
- Dr. Xin Jin, National Renewable Energy Lab, and Winner of R&D100 award, 2019 IMPEL Innovator
"I was surprised at the high relevance of the IMPEL program to buildings, unlike other tech-to-market programs”
- Robert Hart, Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 2019 IMPEL Innovator
" The IMPEL program was very useful. We discovered that our audience is not the building end user as we were thinking all along, but service providers, who could potentially invest in our idea.”
- Dr. Nora Wang, Pacific Northwest National Lab, 2019 IMPEL Innovator
"We were all like minded people sharing ideas on conserving energy, and reducing cost through building technologies. I felt inspired to integrate them into the net zero homes I build. I have participated in incubators, but never before experienced live-coaching - this was extremely beneficial. The workshop was amazing and the resources you provided were excellent.”
- Mohan Mahal, CEO, SIDCO Homes, 2020 IMPEL+ Innovator